Use Online Family Trees for Clues
July 28, 2013 1 Comment
Many websites allow researchers to post the family trees online. Although researchers may use offline lineage software to build their family trees, they may also use online trees. Many of these trees were the researchers initial attempt to save the results of their research but researchers have also found the online trees is an excellent tool to make contact with other people searching for the same ancestors and exchange information. Please remember that this information may be very exciting to find but you must do the work and verify its accuracy.
- The value of searching online family trees would be to provide clues on where to look for the next level in your family tree.
- The value of maintaining your family tree online is to make contacts with researchers to exchange information.
Concerns when posting your family tree on the internet:
- Upload your tree to Ancestry.com – this may get you questions from other people who are researching the same people as you are.
- Be careful to avoid posting information that is private or that you do not want known outside of the family – such as birth, Social Security Number, etc
- Be as accurate as possible. Try to post only confirmed facts to our online tree.